The did you knows about New Hampshire 2019.
New Hampshire’s nickname: The Granite State
New Hampshire’s capital: Concord
Name before statehood: Providence of New Hampshire
Largest City: Manchester
New Hampshire’s state motto: Live Free or Die – A quote from General John Stark “Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.”
New Hampshire current governor: Chris Sununu – The Governor’s page if you’d like to learn more is https://www.governor.nh.gov
State flower: Purple Lilac
State wild flower: Lady Slipper
State animal: White-tailed Deer
State fruit: Pumpkin
State bird: Purple Finch
State veggie: White Potato
State tree: White Birch
State beverage: Apple Cider
State rock: Granite
State sport: Skiing
State Emblem: Old Man of the Mountain
New Hampshire Firsts:
- First state in the primaries.
- First state to declare it independence from England. 9th to become a state.
- First American in space was from NH.
- First Attorney General of the United State was from NH.
Invented in NH:
- Alarm clock
- The snow mobile
Products made in NH:
- Stonyfield Yogurt
- Burdick Mice
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac
- Globe Fire Suits
- Badger Balm
- Timberland Boots
- Ruger Firearms
- New Hampshire Pewter
- Mountain T-shirts
- Wilcox Industries
Just to name a few! 😉
Famous Historical figures from New Hampshire:
- General John Stark – Famous Revolutionary War general in which our state motto comes from.
- Daniel Webster – Famous orator and politician.
- Robert Frost – A famous poet who wrote about New England’s people and landscapes. while he was born in San Francisco. He lived for a time in Derry and Franconia.
- Sarah Josepha Hale – Author of “Mary Had a Little Lamb” and led the way on suggesting Thanksgiving as a national holiday.
- Christa McAuliffe – A Concord teacher who died in the space shuttle Challenger explosion.
- Goody Cole – Only witch ever convicted in NH.
- Earl Silas Tupper – Found of Tupperware.
- Franklin Pierce – 14th president of the United States.
- Eleanor Porter – Author of Pollyanna
- Bob Montana – Creator of comic strip “Archie”
- Alan B Shephard Jr – First American in space.
- Josiah Barlett – NH representative to sign the “Declaration of Independence” and first Governor of New Hampshire
This is just a short list. For more information or more famous historical people from NH check out https://www.nh.gov/almanac/people.htm
Famous Celebrities from New Hampshire:
- Dan Brown – Author of the Da Vinci Code
- John Irving – Author of Cider House Rules
- Triple H – Wrestle
- Adam Sandler – actor/ producer
- Mandy Moore – Singer/ actress
- JD Salinger – Author of Catcher in the Rye
- Samuel Bode Miller – Olympic Gold Medal alpine skier.
- Jodi Picoult – Author of My Sister’s Keeper
This is just a short list. For more information or more famous people from NH check out https://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/nhfamous.htm
Famous places in New Hampshire:
- Lake Winnipesaukee – This is the largest lake in New Hampshire and the 3rd largest in New England.
- Mount Washington – This is a 6000 mountain located in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and is known for having the worst weather in the world. Check it out at http://knowbefore.weatherbug.com/2015/01/21/mount-washington-home-worlds-worst-weather/
Famous books set or written in New Hampshire:
- Fortune’s Rock by Anita Shreve was set in New Hampshire.
- The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving is set and written in New Hampshire.
- Peyton Place by Grace Metalious is set near Lake Winnipesaukee.
- Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult is set and written in New Hampshire.
These are just a few. I may make a more comprehensive list later. It would be a fun series to read and write about; New Hampshire reading through the year…
Famous movies set or filmed in New Hampshire:
- Jumanji with Robin Williams was set and filled in New Hampshire. It was filmed mostly in Keene.
- Justice of Mind was filmed in Milford and Merrimack NH.
- Before I Sleep with Bonny Wright, Ginny from Harry Potter, was filmed in Franconia, NH.
- The Good Son with Macaulay Culkin and Elijah Woods has scenes filmed in NH including the car accident scene and the ice skating scene.
- Thinner, a book by Stephen King turned movie, has scenes filmed in Portsmouth, NH.
- Labor Day with Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin has scenes shot in Salem, NH.
These are just a few of the films that have scenes shot in New Hampshire.